The Spirit to be given to the Restored Israel
Here we continue the message that began in Ezekiel 34, the restoration of Israel. After Israel has been taken “out from the peoples (nations)..(to) feed on the mountains of Israel,” God will pour out His Spirit on them. This prophecy continues to Ezekiel 37, and is the sign of the end days.
Does Ezekiel 36-37 speak of the spiritual Israel, or the blood born Israelites? “For they are not all Israel, who are descended from Israel” (Romans 9:6).
There are several truths that might lead us to the wrong conclusion that these Chapters are only speaking about the spiritual Israel.
- Chapter 34 described the fulfillment of Jesus’ prayer, telling us that all believers will follow one Shepherd.
- Ezekiel 40-48 certainly speaks of the end time sanctified Church, the “third Temple” that is built in the East, the spiritual Israel.
- Ezekiel 39:18 is a prophecy of the “great supper” of God’s wrath, described in Revelation 19:17-18. And Ezekiel 39:28 can only be describing the captivity of the saints in mystery Babylon.
- Ezekiel 39:29 concludes, “I will not hide My face from them anymore; for I shall have poured out My Spirit on the house of Israel, says Adonai YHVH.”
- Ezekiel 39:29 refers to the outpouring of God’s Spirit on the spiritual Israel, described in Chapters 36 and 37.
Some believe that the spiritual Israel is the only subject of Ezekiel’s prophecies in Chapters 34 to 48. These same people would also say that the battle of Armageddon, described in Ezekiel 38, is only a spiritual attack on the Church.
If it was not for the explanation of Armageddon in Zechariah 12, we might be compelled to agree. From Zechariah 12, we know that the Battle described in Chapter 38 is not a spiritual battle. We can regard Chapters 34 to 38 of Ezekiel as a prophecy of the physical and spiritual Israel. And we have proof of their fulfillment both on a physical and spiritual level.
Chapters 39-48 only speak of the end time sanctified Church.
I will take you from the nations – we continue the message that began in Ezekiel 34; the end time restoration of Israel, and the spiritual Israel that had been trapped in mystery Babylon.
I will sprinkle clean water on you – the spiritual Israel will be cleansed through baptism in the end days. This can only be the true baptism of living water in the name of Jesus, that cleanses the saints.
you shall be clean…from all your idols – clean from the worship of the image of the beast.
put a new Spirit within you – this is one of many similar prophecies, through Joel, Ezekiel, Zechariah and Isaiah.
I will put My Spirit within you – as described in Joel, Isaiah etc,
I will save you from your uncleanliness – the spiritual Israel will turn to true righteousness in the last days, as described also in Revelation 14:1-5.
the nations that are left around you will know that I, YHVH, have rebuilt the ruined places and planted that which was desolate – indeed, for centuries before Israel was made a state, the area was a sparsely inhabited, desolate, wasteland. The rebuilding must also refer to the rebuilding of the spiritual temple, which was made desolate by the Antichrist, as described throughout Daniel.